Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Can your website handle "instant celebrity"?

Ok, so I feel a touch voyeuristic even admitting this, but while I was checking on the latest from the Olympics I followed a link under Latest News -> Michael Phelps with a tag line of "What do you do after becoming the most accomplished Olympian in history? Date a model."

It was a tasteful piece about Michael bringing his (until now) "under the radar" girlfriend, Megan Rossee to some public event. Having (apparently like a lot of people) never heard of her,  I clicked on the link for her website (www.meganrossee.com)  in the article. What I got for my curiosity was *far* better than a bunch of portfolio photos of a model. I got the following:





Of course, I feel *totally* vindicated for clicking the link now -- I *must* have subconsciously known what would happen. 

More importantly, however, I kinda feel bad for Miss Rossee. I mean honestly, what are the odds that she will ever have a more significant marketing moment than this? And what are the odds that all those people who might want to interview her on TV, or put the two of them on the cover of a magazine or whatever will remember to check the link in a few days to find out how to contact her? I'm sure some will, but what if she ends up missing out on her "big break" because of one of the ones that don't? How long would you kick yourself if that happened to you?

Of course, I'm sure she'll be fine. It's not like Phelps 15 min of fame is anywhere near over... and as long as they stay together for a while (or have a "Jerry Springer worthy" break-up), I'm sure she'll get plenty enough "media face time" to get an opportunity to "make or break" her career.

But I'm "theperfguy" and I can't help but wonder how many people/organizations fail to capitalize on their 15 min of fame because their web presence can't handle it. Would you/your org be able to capitalize or would your 15 min end in "Service Unavailable"?

Think about it.
--
Scott Barber
Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus, Inc.
Director, Computer Measurement Group
About.me

Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
Author, Web Load Testing for Dummies
Contributing Author, Beautiful Testing, and How To Reduce the Cost of Testing

"If you can see it in your mind...
     you will find it in your life."

1 comment:

Daniela said...

Scott- great article, excellent point. Same theory with Nasdaq's crash during the Facebook IPO. Load and performance testing and monitoring of your site(s) on a regular basis is imperative. On that note....BlazeMeter's load and performance testing cloud is a virtual lab- so users can test upwards of 50 or even 100k concurrent users, find bugs, fix and retest as needed on a regular basis. We actually had the pleasure of doing some load testing for a few sites pre-Olympics to test for these types of bugs. Regular load testing is the MUST DO of site and app success. It's the preventative medicine of the online world ;). www.blazemeter.com